Belotero: The Buzz

18 Sep

I’ve been waiting to announce this for months!

Merz Aesthetics (the company that makes Radiesse) has released a new product: Belotero Balance. The product was FDA approved in November, 2011. Dr. Russo was involved in clinical trials, so I (of course) got a sneak peak at the product, and have been anxiously awaiting it’s arrival.

Why am I so excited you ask? Well, first, I think Merz makes awesome products (Radiesse is my favorite to use!). Second, and most important, this product can go into vertical lip lines! That’s right. No more “smoker’s lines!” I have SO many clients who complain about “smoker’s lines” around their lips!

Prior to this product’s release, there were two ways to treat the vertical lip line: with Botox or with HA Fillers.

Botox

• Some people like it, some people don’t. I’ve personally never had Botox injected in my lips (I have however had many, many syringes of Juvéderm), but I’ve been told it is a strange sensation. It feels weird to spit out your tooth paste, or use a straw, or kiss, because the muscle that is used for these things is “relaxed.” Obviously, you don’t want to relax it too much, or you’ll look like a stroke victim, so I’ve found it doesn’t last long in the lips.

Fillers (Juvéderm and Restylane)

• As you can see from the picture below (this is a great example), by injecting product into the border of the lip (vermillion border), the vertical lip lines do visibly improve, but they are still there.

• OR, you can have what I like to call “the monkey face effect” (I couldn’t find an excellent picture of this, but I’ve seen some real bad monkey faces. I would have tried to take a picture of this, but I’ve found people don’t respond well when you tell them they look like a monkey face from their filler. Or a cat face.)

Anyways, Back to Belo…

The Hyaluronic Family

Belotero is a hyaluronic acid injectable gel, like Juvéderm and Restylane. Belotero more easily integrates into the skin and adapts to facial contours than other HA’s because it is softer. This results in a more natural and subtle look (but may require more product in some areas). Belo is designed to treat superficial facial lines and moderate to severe wrinkles that are closer to the surface of the skin. Unlike Belo, fillers such as Juvéderm leave a bluish hue under the skin called the Tyndall Effect, when it is injected too superficially, like in vertical lip lines. Injections of Belo last up to 12 months, which is comparable to Juvéderm (Restylane lasts about 6 months—does anyone even use Restylane anymore? Anyone?).

Belotero is made of sugars which naturally occur in our skin. No allergy test is required, and treatment is very safe. Like with all injectables, bruising and swelling are always a possible. My friend Colleen who is a dental hygienist is going to hate me for saying this again, but, for those of you in Boston who don’t tell anyone you do this stuff (even though EVERYONE does it) the best excuse for bruising is a “dental appointment.”

For fine superficial folds/fine lines. Including:

• Periorbital folds or “crow’s feet” (also referred to as Periorbital lines)
  • Perioral Lines (aka Smoker’s lines)
  • Tear troughs
  • Deep forehead lines

For medium wrinkles, moderate-to-deep folds, lip contouring, and facial contouring. Including:

• Glabellar crease, or frown line (the line that forms between the eyebrows).
  • Nasolabial folds, or smile lines (from the edge of the nose to the corners of the mouth).
  • Mentolabial crease, or chin folds (horizontal line that forms across the middle of the chin).
  • Marionette lines (from the corners of the mouth to the chin and jawline).
  • Earlobes (which of course aren’t in my picture! Oops!)
  • Lips and philtrum (which is the area between the nose and the upper lip)

(Do you like my feather lashes? I love Halloween Eyelashes!)

The world of Aesthetic Medicine is always changing. New products are being developed as we speak. For the latest info on the best new technology, stay tuned! I’m psyched for my newly approved Sientra Silicone Breast Implants! One more month until surgery!!!!

XOXO, LK

Advertisements

11 Responses to “Belotero: The Buzz”

1. angelboston September 29, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

Love this and do I need this ?? You know to prevent down the line ?

2. Say yes to your best! March 3, 2013 at 5:56 am #

Great info! I have not seen any real photos of vertical lip line treatment! Do you know where I can find any? I don’t want bigger lips, I just want the verticals gone…but seeing crows feet can also be treated? Amazing. Thanks!

• bostonbeautyblog March 3, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

I don’t have any really good ones. Try a search for “Belotero in vertical lip lines” in google images. Crow’s feet should be treated with Botox first.

• say yes to your best March 3, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

thanks, I am blind searching for photos–have found two! Adding to my botoxed crows feet. :o)

• Say yes to your best! March 31, 2013 at 12:13 am #

Hey! I got it done! My dr did a full dental block on me, thank goodness. I felt nothing. It took a while, as I had a lot to fill.., but results are fantastic! I would say a 75 to 80 percent improvement. Next time, if this lasts long enough, I would not hesitate to do a little more in some of the other lip creases ( corners for example or under bottom lip). I don’t know that I could tolerate for crows feet, without a good pain block. I do handle
        Botox fine and restylyn in creases fine, but boletero is a lot of needling!

• bostonbeautyblog April 20, 2013 at 7:14 am #

Ha… did you see a different person than you usually see? I only ask because when I do it I only do 1-2 injections under each eye (virtually no needling OR bruising!) We all have different techniques for the area… I try to use as few pokes as possible… black eyes are hard to explain!

• say yes to your best April 20, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

No I use a cosmetic surgeon for restlyn for the lines from the side of my nose–to lip(no numbing needed there) and used him for the Boletero. He filled each vertical lipline (not work around the eye) bottom to top—not across-he filled IN the actual line individuall. I have a lot of “pucker” lines and one fairly deep vertical scar so it was a lot of pokes. I don’t use restalyn in my lips as I don’t like the turned up corners that have happened with other doctors (scares me to look like that again) and that has alway hurt like hell. I have had that three times and it never gets easier for me. I am in awe of the dental block/boletero. I just WISH i could use more. that stuff is expensive and I still have a few areas I would like addressed in the same lip area, but it adds up!

3. dentists in boston April 22, 2014 at 4:24 pm #

Magnificent web site. A lot of helpful info here.
    I am sending it to a few pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.
    And naturally, thanks on your effort!

• bostonbeautyblog May 10, 2014 at 1:10 pm #

Let me know when you all would like to do a training! I’d be interested in learning more about how the teeth and jaw effect overlaying structures of the face. I have a lot of lip augs that I recommend see a dentist! Their jaws are maligned and many are teeth grinders. They notice their lips but not the teeth or jaw!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. More Belotero! | bostonbeautyblog - February 27, 2013

[…] Belotero: The Buzz. […]

2. Video Blog: Tear Trough Augmentation | bostonbeautyblog - November 18, 2014

[…] of the anatomy of this area, a thinner hyaluronic acid like Belotero is the perfect product (Belotero: The Buzz.).  It does not last as long as the more viscous hyaluronic acids, but it also has fewer […]